Sunday, October 26, 2008

Brain storming

Taking Aim p. 193
Problem I would like to solve:

Not enough time in the day.

I’ve been stuck on one behavior – 4 hours each day spent commuting and all the while wishing I was doing school work, working out at the gym, yard work . . .

The storm:

Get a small apartment near work to spend 2 or 3 nights each week (3 nights = 12 hours saved)
Move closer to work.
Work closer to home.
Move back to Chesterfield.
Sleep in the office 2 or 3 nights each week.
Stay in a fire station 2 or 3 nights each week.


I’m going to work on the apartment one and staying at a fire station. Each seem to have their drawbacks – apartment cost money, fire station with the radio, cheap beds and not home.

There may be additional cost savings with the apartment that can off-set the rent, like gas money. I’ll have to research that one.

2 comments:

Alex said...

I feel your pain with too little time. Mine isn't related to communting, but it does have a lot to do with work. I hate cheating myself out of school work time because of having to try and make ends meet while gaining as much experience on the job as I can.

There are thigs out there that will save us time and money, jsut have to find TIME to research them and make them work for us.

Nathaniel Moore said...

Oh how we all have been here in a similar case. Robbing peter to pay Paul catches up with you. It was always the usual unequal distribution with my own situation. The school, work, wife, and myself, never accommodated each of the others as well as I would have hoped.

One solution that I began trying was to study while driving. I bought a MP3 player, or recorded CD's before the MP3's were popular, and recorded myself and notes on it hoping to play it back while driving. For the almost two years that I was on day work, Monday through Friday, I did most of my studying listening to myself repeat back lecture notes while in very slow northern-Virginia traffic.

The relocation may be a good compromise but as you stated, there are other variables. Good luck to you-I think you are going to have to choose the least worst, since there is no good choice, if one must occur after all.